A few years ago, I felt crafty and decided to personalized some Easter baskets for Jack and Nick. Seeing as I’m not really a crafty person, I kept it pretty minimal. I found some pastel colored Easter baskets at JoAnn’s, and personalized the baskets by hot gluing a coordinating ribbon around each one, and adding a bow.
The baskets were cute, and they were large, so fitting Easter goodies in them wasn’t ever an issue. I love those baskets.
When Luke came along, I searched for a basket similar to those, so that I could personalize one for him. However, I never found anything last year, and once again this year, I didn’t find anything that came even close to the baskets I had for Jack and Nick.
Jdaddy happened to be at Walmart and send me a picture of some bare wooden crates that they had for sale. If I remember correctly, they were $10. He asked if I thought they might work for Easter baskets. Of course that made my mind start working.
I had Jdaddy pick up the crates and also some paint so that we could personalize them. We initially thought that we would spray paint them, but then weren’t impressed with the colors, so in the end, we ended up buying some latex paint, and I think that was a good decision. We decided Jack would get a green crate, Nick would get a blue crate, and Luke would get a yellow/orange crate (we were shooting for orange, but it came out much yellower than we had planned).
The whole project took about a week to complete, because we had to paint the crates at night (due to our schedules) and then let them dry. The green and yellow/orange crates both took two coats to get a good cover, however, the blue crate only took one coat.
To finish up the personalization of the crates, Jdaddy bought some wooden letters from JoAnn’s, as well as some scrapbook paper. The scrapbook paper was cut to fit on the wooden letters, and then Mod Podged on. Jdaddy did this work, and he did an excellent job. The last step was to use some wood glue to glue the letters to the crates.
We also bought some coordinating Easter “grass” to put into the bottom of each crate. It took about 4 small bags of grass per crate. We put blue grass in Jack’s crate, green grass in Nick’s crate, and some bright orange grass in Luke’s crate.
All in all, I think the crates turned out great and the boys love them!